Thursday, December 28, 2006

Some old faces

Being back in town for one of those widely-observed holiday breaks is great. Not all schools get fall break, and sometimes Thanksgiving is too short to see too many people, so by the time Winter Break rolls around, everybody's really anxious to see each other.

Not only can you make plans with your friends from high school, but you also tend to run into people all over town -- even more so now that everybody's home because since they're also going to go out with friends and there are only a certain amount of places you can really go to hang out, it's more likely that you'll run into them.

Yesterday I was reunited with a friend, Michael, from elementary school who I haven't seen in at least six years. He found me on Facebook and we've been chatting for a few weeks and we set up a meeting place and time so we could hang out. So him, one of our best friends from school, Tyler (who I've remained close with) and I spent an hour and a half walking around the park (and throwing snowballs at each other), and just talked about what we've been up to for the past six years. It's interesting to see how much people change, but in this case, it was interesting to see how much they haven't. Despite the new beard and a few more inches of hair and height, and a newly found faith, our elementary school buddy was exactly the same.

After Michael left, Tyler and I went to the movies (believe it or not, I haven't been to the movies since Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest... there aren't any big theaters in walking distance of Drake). Since this was kind of an impromptu trip, we just had to see whatever was showing at that particular time we arrived at the movies. We ended up seeing The Night at the Museum, which was actually surprisingly better than I had thought. C'mon, Ben Stiller... can he do anything wrong?

On our way out of the movies, we bumped into a friend from high school, Steve who I simply love since he's just one of the nicest, most compassionate people I've ever known. He was out with his family seeing the new Will Smith flick, Pursuit of Happyness.

I've still got three weeks of break left, so I hope to see some more of my Chaparral High School class of 2006 buddies... although, another blizzard is supposed to be coming through today, so we'll have to see.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.