Saturday, October 25, 2008

High School Musical Madness

Well, he's back. Zac Efron and his popular posse of basketballers and bookworms have finally taken the box office by storm garnering what is expected to be hundreds of millions for Disney - because if there's one company who needs the millions, it's Disney, right? I'm shocked they waited so long to put a High School Musical movie in theaters. But HSM 3 is now playing, so I guess that's what counts. And now hundreds of thousands of Efron-worshipping, "I want to be Hannah Montana for Halloween" seven-year-olds are dragging their parents to the sweet and cheesy flick.

I would expect no less.

What still surprises me is the number of 20+ year old COLLEGE students who drag their friends along to see it. And the sadder fact is that most of the friends are going rather willingly. Is it just me, or is anybody else baffled by the Disney college takeover? Hannah Montana? The Jonas Brothers? High School Musical? Are you kidding me? I feel like college students have grown way out of the key demographic.

Don't get me wrong, if I see the Lizzie McGuire movie on tv one night, I'll stop and watch it. I will. Let's keep in mind however, I was also in middle school when Lizzie McGuire was popular. And It reminds me of those days when Hilary Duff didn't look like some freakish alien with a huge head, tiny body, and horse teeth.

I'm getting off topic.

What I don't get is why stuff like that appeals to college kis NOW. Is it just because it's all cutesy? Do we crave cutesy? I like cutesy, but I'm not spending nine dollars for it.

If you understand this bizarre obsession, please explain it to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful movie with some fascinating entertainment presentation by disney.. High School Musical 3 gang left us with some fun movie moments and HSM 3 is something a must watch.

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.