Sunday, April 12, 2009

Bill Bryson

Each semester, Drake brings someone awesome for the Bucksbaum Lecture. We've had people like Jane Goodall, Ben and Jerry, and Bob Costas. Next semester we'll have Maya Angelou. This semester we had BILL BRYSON!

Bill Bryson is one of my all-time favorite authors. He has written a bunch of funny travel books and his latest, "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid," is a memoir about growing up in Des Moines in the 1950s.

I was kind of nervous about seeing him for real. I was afraid he'd be some sort of bitter old man who is sick of making speeches and talking to students, but I was pleasantly surprised. He was so... Bill Bryson-y. He has a half-British accent which comes from his 3ish decades in England.

Basically, it was amazing. He was one of the best speakers I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

What's even better is that he stuck around after the speech to sign copies of his books. I don't know how he did it; my hand would have fallen off.

Check out the pics I took!!!


I love him. He's amazing




Receiving his honorary doctorate

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.