Monday, July 6, 2009

Car Trouble

I woke up this morning at 6:30, as usual. I showered and dressed and ate, as usual. I packed up all my things, as usual. Then I went downstairs to the parking lot to my car. But the car wouldn't unlock with my little clicker. I thought that was rather odd. So I opened my door the old-fashioned way (with the key.. weird, I know). Then I put my key in the ignition... and nothing happened.

NOTHING HAPPENED.

When you buy a brand-new car, you don't expect to experience the heart-sinking feeling of something being seriously wrong with your car for several years. But it's only been one year and my heart was swimming around my ankles.

My battery was dead because my dome light was on all weekend and I needed a jump.

So, after panicking and calling home, I called the magical roadside assistance number on my car window. They sent out the Rescue Rangers (insert fanfare here) to jump start my car. Except it didn't work. It didn't work the first time. Or the second time. Or the third. After about 20 minutes, the jump-start guy decided that, in addition to having a dead battery, there was also something wrong with the starter.

Back to the magical roadside assistance people.

They decided to send out a tow truck to tow me to the dealer (which is luckily very, very close to my apartment). They told me he'd be out in about an hour.

Well, an hour came and went. And then an hour and a half. And then two hours. And then two and a half hours. Finally, the tow truck came. But while I was waiting, I decided to lay in the grass. So I'm there in the grass and I feel something crawling on me. I go to flick it away and accidentally put my hand on it, and it stings me. It was a bee. And it got me right in the collarbone area.

After digging a bee butt out of my chest, the tow truck guy and I pushed my car onto the truck and we brought it to the dealership. Kinda. At first we went to the wrong dealership. We went to the Honda dealership and my car is a Hyundai.

Now I'm at the proper dealership and my car is spending the day at the spa. Apparently when they hit 5,000 they need a little R&R. Like twenty minutes after I got here, the mechanic technician guy came and told me they were able to jump-start my car pretty much instantly. He also raised his eyebrow at me when he saw my oil change sticker which might have been, erm, slightly out of date.

It's been quite an adventure. Yay for growing up, right?

No.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.