Friday, January 19, 2007

Back in the saddle again...

Unless it was summer vacation, I never really had a month off of school before and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to come back. I loved being home and back with everybody and Christmas was great and I loved all the snow. But, all good things must come to an end, so here I am back at Drake, ready to kick butt for another semester.

It does kind of feel good to be back, though. Drake life kind of feels like normal life now.

Having new classes is a little scary, though. In high school, most if not all of my classes were yearlong courses so after Christmas break I really didn't have to do too much readjusting. Here, all the classes are only a semester long so there's A LOT of readjusting to do.

I am taking two journalism classes, two English classes and sociology this semester for a grand total of fifteen credits. No one class seems particularly difficult, but since I'm taking them all together, I'm expecting a rather heavy workload this semester. It's ok, though. In a couple of weeks I'll learn how much effort is required for each class.

I feel like a complete slacker for saying that, but you can't really give 100 percent of yourself to EVERY class or you'll be worn out. Over time I will learn which classes require more work and which require less. Until then, however... I'm a wee bit scared.

I suppose the same thing sort of goes for my professors. After only one or two days with them, it's hard to tell if they're going to be the kind of person that you could walk into the room and give them a high-five, or if you're going to want to sit in the back of the room because they spit too much.

My friends and I pretty much had a very good, very well timed routine last semester. Although, I suppose it helped that we were all in the same FYS. We ate lunch together almost everyday at the same time and we knew who was around the dorms at a particular time and we knew when to expect everybody to be home and all of that good stuff.

We don't know any of that now. We have to start all over again. I was the one who had all of the night classes last semester and now I'm the one who's gone for most of the day and my roommate is gone at night. We didn't do the greatest job of eating together this week and I'm still worried about missing J3 Tuesday/Thursday at 8am, which is ridiculous because that class is over.

I'll find a groove, I'm sure... but it's a little scary not having one.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.