Saturday, January 6, 2007

Then and Now

I've spent quite a while ripping my room to shreds looking for this particular paper that I had to write during my sophomore year in high school. It was the first one of the year and it was a pretty informal little one-page deal about who we are and who we want to become and all of that. I'm actually really upset that I can't find it because I know for a fact that I never would have thrown something like that away.

I like to revisit it every now and again and see how much I've changed and all of that fun stuff.

While I cannot offer you verbatim what the essay said, I do remember some of my goals and interests at the time:

Then: I wanted to go to Colorado School of the Mines to study Atmosphere Sciences and Meteorology.
What happened: I obviously attend Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa and I study Magazine Journalism and English.

Then: I was in the marching band and planned on earning a letter all four years of high school and being the drum major my senior year.
What happened: I quit after junior year and joined the yearbook staff instead.

Then: I might have mentioned how much I enjoy photography.
What happened: I'm a paid photographer for the Drake University newspaper, the Times Delphic.

It's cool because sometimes we think we have it all planned out, don't we? My sophomore year, I couldn't have been more confident that I would meet all of those goals and then some. It was a good feeling. I won't lie. I don't know exactly what changed or when it happened, but even now I can't be positive that I'm going to stick with what I'm studying now. I mean plans have already changed. Originally, I was going to double major in Magazine Journalism and Graphic Design... I shied away from the graphic design since I'm more of a computer person and graphic design required a lot of drawing and painting.

Things will change. My interests will change. Where I see myself in ten years will change. And I'm alright with it, just as long as I'm doing something I love to do today.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.