Wednesday, June 13, 2007

She works hard for the money, and you could do the same, honey

Originally, I thought that holding down a job my first year at college was impossible. My parents told me not to worry about it since getting adjusted and doing well in school was the most important thing. I just so happens that I stumbled upon my job as a photographer for the paper. I went to the meeting, signed up, and just happened to get a paycheck. And this job found me somehow.

But never did I feel overwhelmed because of work. Ok, maybe I didn't have traditional campus jobs, but they were still commitments that I was obligated to fulfill.

I had more than enough time to get school work done, work work done, and have plenty of extra left over to have fun with friends.

It makes sense, I guess. In high school I was in school 7 consecutive hours a day. At college I'm in class for 3-5 hours total throughout the day, so I have a considerable amount of extra time to hold down a job.

And it's so easy to find a job on campus. You could go the work/study route where Drake sets you up with a job to help you pay tuition or you can just go out and get one for a little extra spending money on the side. You could work pretty much anywhere on campus.

You could work the front desk in the residence halls, check people out at the library, make coffee and smoothies at the coffee shop, work at the bookstore... you name it, you can find it out there. And not only can you find a job, you can find the time to work it.

It's easy to do, and with only about half the class time you had in high school, it's a good way to fill in the free time. I never felt too busy between working and classes. Heck, it's summer vacation and I think I'm busier working the job I have now than I ever was at college.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.