Thursday, June 28, 2007

Stupid People who Come into work

Stupid people who come into work

Working at Blockbuster has been keeping me very busy. I get about 30 hours a week which sucks but it's a good thing because when every other Friday rolls around and I get a paycheck, it's all worth while. The actual job is alright, but the standard shift is seven hours (almost eight if I'm closing). Plus, depending on who the manager on duty is, I might not get a break. That's kinda illegal...

I do like to see people who come in, though. I've seen a lot of kids who recently graduated from my high school and I love that because it reminds me that there are people around this summer and I haven't been deserted.

Sometimes the other customers are a pain, though. One guy came in to buy a whole bunch of movies and I innocently asked him if he was renting any today... well, the conversation went a little like this....

"Hell, no! I don't rent from you people!!! I haven't rented here in years!"
"And why is that, sir?"
"You people ruined my f**cking credit!"
"Oh?"
"Yeah, I had turned in ONE movie late and it went to collections. It was like three days late and my credit went to the toilet thanks to you. It's been ten years and my credit is still ruined."
"I'm sorry to hear that."
"You should be."

At this point he snatched his movies and left. If this took place in the last week of July, I would have said something that goes a little like this.

"Woah, there! First of all I don't appreciate being personally blamed for your poor credit. Ten years ago, I was still coloring outside the lines, not sending your overdue movies to collections. Additionally, I'm not sure one charge of 21.99 ruined your credit, there must have been some other unpaid charges. Hate the game, not the player... and in the meantime I refuse to apologize for the fact that someone was stupid enough to give you a credit card you're clearly to irresponsible to pay..."

Unfortunately this took place in June and I was still planning on holding on to my job...

There was also this group of girls who came in a little while ago wanting to know when the Harry Potter movie was coming out and I said...

"July 11th."
"July 11th? I thought it came out this week," they said.
"The new Harry Potter? That doesn't hit theaters until July 11th..."
"Not the actual Harry Potter movie... the one about the chick who wrote them"
"I'm not sure I know what you're referring to."
"You know, it's called Miss Potter or something like that," they said with a tone I didn't much appreciate.

At this point, I wanted to cry... just break down and weep for the future.

"The movie you're referring to is about Beatrix Potter, not the author of Harry Potter... and it comes out tomorrow."
"Who is Beatrix Potter?"

At this point I explained that Beatrix Potter was a very famous children's books author and wrote Peter Rabbit books. I couldn't believe it, but I still got blank stares from the girls.

One of them said something like:
"Oh, that's the rabbit that steals candy or something from people's houses?"

Here's what I would have said if, again, I was almost done with this summer job...

"You idiots! Miss Potter doesn't have any thing to do with Harry Potter. And not only is it pathetic that you have no real idea who Beatrix Potter is, what's even worse is that you don't even know the author of the ridiculously poplular Harry Potter books is! J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, for the record. And if you're interested in renting Miss Potter, might I reccommend you actually pick up one of her books first!!"

I could write a book of all the stuff I should say to people.... really...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate this, I work at a low end discount retail store, and I have really ignorant people come to shop there all the time. I'd like to say a whole bunch of stuff to them, but alas.. I can't.

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.