Friday, December 7, 2007

Ya-who?

There's a girl in one of my classes who conveniently comes up with all the answers to all the questions the professor asks all the time. It's not just a result of really scrupulous reading, either. She'll know the outcomes of obscure court cases from the 40s and nobody quite knows how she knows these things. I happened to notice that she's the only one in the class who brings a laptop, which leads me to believe that she's Googling everything. There's no other way. She could just be brilliant, but I like to hold on to my Google theory. I told my fried that I think she's Googling things in class (which is nothing short of brilliant when you think about it!)... here's how it went.

"She's probably sitting there googling everything..." I said

"Don't be ridiculous," said my friend "She's could be Yahoo-ing them..." she said.

I don't know why, but at that moment I just stopped suddenly and tried as hard as I could to take in what she just said.

Yahoo?

Yahoo?

I don't remember the last time somebody brought up Yahoo. I had a Yahoo account at one point, but that was just so I could use Yahoo IM (AIM was passe). But since then (and I think that was my sophomore year in high school), I haven't heard much about Yahoo, and I sure as heck haven't used it.

But who does, really? You can't be like "Hey, what day is Easter on this year?... I should Yahoo that." Nobody. Yahoo hasn't been accepted as a verb in today's techo-crazy world. Google is a verb. You can Google something. Heck you can Google people. You can even Google yourself. But Yahoo yourself? I don't think so.

I feel bad for Yahoo. It's not even an inferior search engine, it's just not nearly as cool. Plus, Google's easy to remember. Yahoo gets confused with YooHoo all to often. What's YooHoo you ask?

Google it.

1 comment:

Ayatollah Mugsy said...

Google is superior because of it's canine-embracing corporate culture. You can Google that, too.

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.