Friday, January 25, 2008

1 down... 15 to go

So, the first week of school is over. Only 15 left until summer!

No, I'm not counting down... yet.

So far I'm not worried about classes. Some are obviously more work than others, but nothing seems completely unmanagable as of yet.

Let's see what I have this semester...

I have J66 - Media Responsibility Over Time. It's actually not as boring as it sounds. Yet, anyway. It sounds like we'll be studying the journalistic aspect of things like the Civil Rights Movement. It should be interensting. I'm looking forward to it. There's some reading involved and a couple of papers and a research project, but even that has mini-deadlines as to discourage procrastination.

There's E66 - American Multicultural Literature. Believe it or not, it's hard to discuss "multicultural" literature without first defining "multicultural," which, apparently, is a fairly broad term. The books we're reading seem to be about people struggling between two cultures - typically the one of their parents and American. There's a lot of writing in this one and a LOT of reflection and its' all very structured. It was actually a bit of a shock to see how structured it was. Which is kind of strange since when I got here I thought it was odd how UNstructured classes were. It's hard to go back. Otherwise, it's a discussion-based course sooo... we'll see if I can come up with something that sounds intelligent.

I have PHYS 001 - Physical Science. Great, but it depends on what you're looking for. It seems like an easy A type of class. Especially if you've been in science before... like in the third grade. The professor is funny and there's a huge poster of the table of elements so when I'm bored I can brush up on my noble gasses. The class is only 50 minutes twice a week, but it comes with a 2 hour lab... which is a little brutal. I haven't quite decided on how that will go just yet.

E168 - Storytelling as a Social Practice. I haven't decided on this one just yet. It seems really deep or something... maybe "deep" isn't the right word. Still... it requires some serious cognative work there. Not really a class about telling stories. More of a class about WHY we tell stories. This one will be challenging... although, I must admit... English classes always sound more intimidating than they turn out to be. The first day is frightening and the syllabus has big words, but it's usually nothing to freak out about. You just have to give it a chance.

Oh! J119 - Magazines in American Society. Sounds awesome so far. I had the same professor last semester so it's nice to know what I can expect from her end. We actually have this huge project where we have to ultimately create a magazine. We get to design it and everything. I'm really excited about it. It's also really exciting to have another major-specific course. It seems like a lot of work, but fun work.

Well, that's it. 16 credits this semester. I'm not too put of so far, let's hope it stays that way. We shall see... week two is right around the corner.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.