Monday, January 21, 2008

Spring Training

Don't be fooled... this isn't anything exciting like baseball spring training - it's RA spring training. I shouldn't suggest that it's not exciting in its own way, but let's just say that people don't come from all over to watch it happen. I don't even know if it's called spring training. If it were me, I'd call it winter training. Believe me, there's nothing spring-like out here. Maybe it is called winter training... I don't remember. That's not really the point, though.

The point is is that for the last week the RA staff has been going through a shortened version of our summer training to review some things for the new semester. The actual learning and re-learning of things was alright, but the best part had to be getting to be with the whole staff again. We don't do enough of that throughout the year. I don't even see my own staff that much with the execption of our meetings once a week.

Everybody was reunited and it was a lot of fun. The RAs from the first year halls got to reconnect with the RAs in the upperclass halls which was great because whe rarely see each other.

We ate as a staff and had fun as a staff and bonded as a staff. It was really nice to have that again. It was like the summer... only, you know, cold...

Each building had to put together a performance for RA Airband. We had to lip-synch to a song and do a dance or something. Carpenter decided to lip-synch to "one week" by the Bare Naked Ladies -- only sitting upside down on a couch with sunglasses on our chins to make it look like our mouths were actual people. We were laughing so hard we couldn't even lip-synch. Herriot Hall did the Thriller dance, the pottery scene from Ghost, and Ghostbusters. Crawford and Stalnaker worked together and did the Jackson 5's "ABC" which was hilarious. GK did "Anything you can do, I can do better" from Annie Get your Gun. Morehouse sang a really funny song called "Welcome to Our house." Jewett did a cross-dressing version of "Sk8er Boi." And Ross went the artistic route and performed a poem with some "ooh laa laas" in the backround. It was pretty funny. I have some pictures I stole from facebook that you can see.

It was nice to come back and have some time without having to worry about residents right away. But, I'm sure happy to have them back now. It's a little creepy being on the floor all alone. Plus, they're my girls and I love them. They drive me crazy some days, but I love them anyway.


Morehouse staff


haha, Carpenter staff


GK staff... yes, that's a guy wearing a dress


Ross staff


Crawford and Stalnaker staffs


Herriot Staff doing Thriller


Herriot staff doing Ghost


Jewett staff


the whole staff... together again

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.