Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Drake West Village

This past year Drake admitted so many freshmen that they exceeded the number of spaces that were available in the freshmen residence halls, so the extra freshmen were moved into Morehouse, an upperclassmen hall.

Guess what? They did it again.

And, like last year, the remaining freshmen will be moved into Morehouse. There's just one problem... I was supposed to live in Morehouse.

Well, I'm going to turn this frown upside down because all the residents who were supposed to live on the second floor and basement floor of Morehouse have been moved into Drake West Village, an independently managed apartment complex just off campus.. for no additional cost beyond room and board (which, of course, is still expensive, but not quite as expensive as the monthly rent.)

Construction has been going for quite some time now with good ol' DWV, and it sadly wasn't as popular with the students as it was expected to be, but it is nice and brand new and I'm excited to live there.

I'll be living in a 4-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment with, and this is a the best part, a full kitchen (I'm talking full-sized fridge, oven, sink, microwave, dishwasher, disposal, and all that good stuff). All roommate pairs that were set to live in Morehouse together still get to live together, just with another pair of roommates. My roommate was actually my resident last year, and as it happens, another pair of former residents were also set to live on the second floor in Morehouse, so now the four of us will be living together in an apartment in the fall.

Am I a little nervous about living with three ex-residents? Yes. It's going to be hard to transition from RA to roomie. I'm also nervous about living with three other people in general after living by myself for so long. But, I DO get my own bedroom which will be beyond wonderful on those days where I need a little time (and space) to myself.

but you know what? that kitchen is going to rock... :P

There would be pictures if their website would cooperate...

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.