Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Class rundown

So I'm about a week and a half in and so far I can tell this semester will be infinitely better than last semester. For a start, I'm actually enjoying my classes. Crazy concept, I know. Here's a quick rundown of what I'm taking.

English 112 - Reading and Writing Autobiography. I pretty much died when I found out that we'd be reading Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Bill Bryson's memoir about growing up in Des Moines in the 1950s. It was on my Christmas list and to my knowledge this is the first time I HAVE to read a book I WANT to read. Amazing. You know what else is amazing? The professor. I've had her before and I really like her. She smart, funny, talks a lot, and a pretty good person to have at 8:30 in the morning. The final project is kind of a doozy - a 25-page memoir/autobiography - but I'm actually looking forward to it. If you haven't figured it out by now, I kind of like writing about myself.

Journalism 99 - Photojournalism. I can't tell you how many years it's been since Drake has offered a photojournalism/photography course. Mostly because I don't know. I do know it's been a long, long, long time and because I wasn't sure it'd ever be offered again, I snapped it up even though it counts for absolutely nothing towards my major. So far it's going well. We had a cool photo assignment where we had to go out and take pictures of things that look like letters. And the book we have to read is AWESOME. Like it's all about famous photos, photographers, how to approach certain situations... and all sorts of stuff.

English 178 - Critical theory. Um... well, maybe I'll skip over ranting and and raving about this one. We're reading a lot of Kafka. I don't know if you're well acquainted with Kafka or not, but it's really dense... and it sucks.

Journalism 70 - Copy Editing. It sounds nerdy, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It indulges my obsessive compulsive personality or something I guess. So far it's a lot of basic grammar review, but it's good to go back to the basics every now and again. I really like the professor, too. She's funny and she has loads of experience in the industry.

Journalism 120 - Freelance Writing. At one point you'll probably have a class where most of the students had the professor the previous semester. This is that class for me. They have all sorts of inside jokes and stuff and the professor knows all them relatively well so it's kind of a bit awkward. I like what we're learning and I like the assignments and I even like the professor a lot, but there's still awkwardness. I'm sure it'll get better as the semester goes on. And, hey - if some awkwardness is the only thing I have to complain about, I think we're in good shape.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.