Friday, September 25, 2009

Pelican Festival

I have more mascot experience than I care to admit. My first job was at Chick-Fil-A back home in Colorado and one night I had to dress up as the CFA cow and do the chicken dance during half-time at the Colorado Nuggets basketball game.

Then, if you're a frequent reader (and you're probably not unless you're my parents, my friend Ryan, my boss, or the mysterious person at Meredith who has been hitting a lot lately... shout out to you all) you'll recall my Curious George experience. in 2007 I had to dress up as Curious George at the Blank Park Zoo during their Halloween event and that was all sorts of interesting.

A few weeks ago was the Pelican Festival at Jester Park Lodge. Evidently, pelican migration starts in late summer and early fall and hundreds and thousands of pelicans come to rest at the massive Saylorville Lake. So people come and gather and watch pelicans and learn some stuff.

I volunteered to help through my internship at the DNR. So I got there and was told that they needed me to be the pelican greeter, Scoop. Scoop, as it turns out, is this massive pelican costume that's just all sorts of ridiculous. Thankfully, by this point in my mascot career, I'm experienced enough and didn't need help getting into the costume.

So I dressed up as a massive pelican and I'm walking the best way I know how with toddlers on my ankles. Meanwhile other toddlers were shrieking at the sight of me.

Although, one very cool thing happened. A little boy pointed right at me and said "bird!" And his parents started freaking out because that was his first word. It was pretty special to share that moment.

And, because I evidently have no problem further making public my already public humiliation, I'm putting in a picture.

1 comment:

Pelican Lights said...

I do not see why you should still be embarrassed about being a mascot. It is actually a more respected job than the cheerleaders. Also, as a mascot, you earn the love of the kids the most. No one asks for the cheerleader's autograph, but they do ask for the mascot's autograph. I am a big fan of doing things for the kids, so I think of it this way, but I could only imagine the feeling of putting on a giant fuzzy uniform like that in the heat. It must not always be pleasant.

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.