Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Reaching Out to Virginia Tech

There's an old Japanese story that goes like this (actually, it has several versions, but this is the one I heard):

Ten years after the bombing of Hiroshima, a 12-year-old girl developed Leukemia from the radiation. She was dying and decided to make 1,000 paper cranes, for she remembered that legend said that would grant her one wish. Unfortunately, she only lived to make 644.

A statue was erected in her honor in Hiroshima and every year paper cranes are sent from all over the world and piled by the monument as a symbol of world peace.

So, Drake joined a multi-campus outreach project to make 1,000 paper cranes and send them to VT to bring them peace in their troubling time. Drake alone made close to 1,200.

Personally I'd never made a crane before. I used to be into Origami when I was younger but I could never figure out the crane. I picked it up pretty quickly and made eleven cranes to send to VT.

Here's a picture of one:

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.