Sunday, April 29, 2007

Relays Madness Part I

You know, for all the hype that the Drake Relays get, the actual Relays themselves don't go on for very long. I think it was two or three days -- tops, as opposed to two weeks of events and celebration.

I'm not complaining, I think I was expecting more real races. Or at least a better chance to watch more of it, you know?

It was a hectic couple of days let me tell you.

APO works a concessions stand for the Relays and on Friday I worked an early shift (7:45-11) and a mid-day shift (1:30-4:45). I had volunteered to be a flag bearer for the opening ceremonies for the Relays so I had to get over to the softball field by 5:45. Then, at 9 I went back to Drake Stadium to watch (and take pictures of) the fireworks.

As if that's not enough, SAB (The Student Activities Board) was putting on an all-you-can-eat pancake party -- at 1am. I really wanted some pancakes so I tried really, really hard to stay awake, but it was no use. I took a nap for about an hour and set my alarm so I could get up and get some pancakes. I kind of felt like a loser, but my RA did the same thing so I felt better.

Ok, now that you know how busy my Friday was, I'll break it down by event. Concessions doesn't really need to be covered since I'm sure you could figure out that I sold food to people.

OPENING CEREMONY
When I volunteered to be a flag bearer they said that each of us would be carrying a state flag around the track and the atheletes from that state would be walking behind it. So, that's sort of like the Olympics. I didn't realize that they would also be playing the Olympic theme song AND lighting a torch at the top of Drake Stadium. It was really cool, though. I got to hold the Colorado flag and that was awesome. I wish I could have had a picture but obviously my hands were full. Ha!
Oh! This just in! Fellow blogger, Rita took one of me!



FIREWORKS!
I LOVE fireworks! They're awesome! My dad bought me a digital camera last summer that actually has a fireworks setting on it which means it's too easy to take fireworks pictures. They fireworks were supposed to go off at 9, so I got there around 8:30 and it's a good thing I got there when I did because the fireworks went off around 8:50 and were done around 9. I bet some people were upset.

Check out the pics!




PANCAKE PARTY!
Is it pathetic that I was the first one in line? Maybe, but I got some awesome pancakes. You should have seen this guy who was makin' em. He had this huge griddle and this thing automatically squirt out the batter for him and then he was flipping them and catching them on a plate and it was so cool!!



1 comment:

Rita Alvarez said...

Your pictures are great! but I have a picture of you with the Colorado flag!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picassina/476117315/in/set-72157600150932332/

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.