Sunday, May 20, 2007

On Your High School Graduation

In high school, I became immediately attached to the graduating classes of 2005 and 2007. And that makes sense, I guess. I spent three years with each class so I got to know those kids pretty well. 2005 left me, then it was my turn, and now it is your turn, 2007. Because I love ya' I've decided to offer you some wisdom -- some tied and true and some a little bit more offbeat.

First of all, establish a meeting place with your parents and friends so you can find each other and take pictures after the graduation ceremony. Stadiums and such are much larger than they looks and everybody is dressed alike, which hardly helps matters. I remember that I didn't find ANY of my friends afterwards; NO faculty members, and I couldn't even find my family until most of the others had left. It was kind of funny. I really had a laugh about it. Especially when it started raining. I felt like I was in Disney World and I stopped for a second to get a look at Mickey Mouse and when I turned around again my parents were gone. That's actually never happened, but I'm pretty sure something like that happened on Full House once.

Don't try to find people in the crowd when you're on the stage. If you know where they are BEFORE you're up there, fine... go ahead and look their direction and smile at them or whatever. I didn't know where anybody was and I stayed on the stage a bit too long looking for my family and friends. It's impossible. Just look out at the crowd as a whole and move on -- the principal is waiting for you.

Oh, and be careful of bird poop if you're outside. You wouldn't believe how many birds sit up in those rafters. The picture of the graduating class at the beginning of the ceremony showed a sea of blue hats -- afterwards, it was a sea of blue and white hats. But I guess you'll never be wearing it again, anyway -- that's your younger siblings' problem.

That's enough about graduation... Graduation is simultaneously the end of your old journey and the start of a new one. It's the transition between something old and familiar into something knew and unknown. And that's the part where these next pieces of advice come in -- the unknown.

When you scamper off to college and decided that you're going to eat a waffle with strawberry topping and ice cream on it everyday for breakfast, don't be surprised when your favorite pair of jeans doesn't fit any more.

When you go to the bathroom, put your phone in your front pocket. Actually, this doesn't just apply to college -- always have your phone in your front pocket. If this isn't a habit already, make it one.

Oatmeal is NOT portable. At all. I don't care if it's in a dandy little cup -- it's still not portable.

Bring things from your room at home that will make you feel comfortable -- stuffed animal, pillows, certain photos. These are good things to have, but you'll find that you won't need them after long.

Save your quarters when you get change for something. If you want a soda from the machine, use dimes and nickels. NEVER SPEND A QUARTER ON ANYTHING... unless, of course, it's laundry. Start looking under the couch cushions and collecting those quarters this summer!

On that topic, jeans are good for about six days before needing a good wash -- or until your room smells like a hamper, whichever comes first.

One word... FEBREEZE.

I don't even remember what my ID was for in high school, but the college ID is nothing you want to loose.

Bring an extra set of sheets.

Subscribe to a magazine just so you can get mail.

AIM, iChat, and E-mail... they're available, so use them for cryin' out loud. Not EVERYBODY from back home will be at school with you.

3M! 3M! 3M!! I love these people and their special little hooks and removable adhesive dealies. You should use these and masking tape ONLY. Those little foam adhesives WILL NOT come off of your wall. Can you say dorm damage?

Don't live with your best friend; don't take someone else's food. DO take chances, DO explore.

And ENJOY THIS SUMMER YOU HAVE WITH EVERYBODY TOGETHER!

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be at your back, and may those pesky birds in the rafters not poop on your cap.

Happy graduation, 2007! May you be filled with both pomp and circumstance.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.