Monday, May 7, 2007

One down, three to go

I'm the most hated person on campus. Why? Because I'm sitting here at home and have been for almost a full 24 hours. AND because I didn't have any finals at all. It's pretty sweet. But, people hear that and they're like "ugh! Lucky!" Yeah, it's lucky but it's not like I didn't have anything to do. As a journalism/English major I had a lot of stuff to write. I think I ended up printing over thirty pages worth of papers and whatnot. That's a lot. So, yes... having papers are nice because as soon as you're done, you're free to go. But, at the same time it really depends on your preference. Personally, I can write pretty decent papers quickly, but others prefer to take tests. I'm a terrible tester generally.

Anyway, I can't believe that the year is over! It went so quickly! They say your freshman year goes the fastest and so far it is the fastest since I have nothing to compare it to. But it's so weird to think about how I was feeling in August and all of the anxieties I had.

All of that left me so quickly.

I think it helped that I had a group of kids on my floor who I eventually became friends with who were going through exactly the same things. They didn't know what to expect or what to do, either and we figured it out together. And it was probably scary at the time, but looking back on it, it was fun and it really bonded us together like nothing else did.

I was worried about just surviving my first year away from home, but I did more than just get by -- I really did well.

I was a photographer for the campus paper and took pictures of Michael J. Fox, Ben and Jerry, and Bob Costas.
I landed a job writing these blogs.
I was hired to be an RA.
I joined APO, received the Omega Award for service, won the Pledge of the Year award for my pledge class, and was recently appointed the APO secretary.
I was inducted into the NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary) at a banquet I never got an invitation to.
I dug through the garbage to find things that could be recycled.
I was the Student of the Month in February.

That's not a bad resume for my first year, huh? Now comes the hard part... finding a summer job. People who will only be around for three months are nigh unemployable...

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.