Thursday, August 30, 2007

The first week of classes

The first week of classes is almost over. Good! The first week is always kind of dumb. It's a lot of syllabus review and stuff. And A MILLION "don't plagiarize" speeches. Oy... That gets really old, really quickly. But, as a journalism/English major, it's only natural I get those special little talks.

Here's a list of my classes and how I feel about them so far:

J91 - Magazine Staff Writing: LOVE IT! The class is TINY! There are only six of us in the class which means we all get loads of attention, it's easier to participate in class, and we can all get to know each other better. We're talking about the structure of magazines and how to find your style of writing and all of that cool stuff. This is the first actual magazine class I've taken so far and it's sooo cool! I'm definitely in the right realm of journalism!

POLS 001 - American Political Systems: Completely indifferent! I took AP American Government in high school. I got a three on the exam, but that's just not good enough for Drake, IS IT!?!? NO!! I'm still a little pissed about it, actually. Taking the class isn't the end of the world. It's pretty much identical to the class I took in high school so I should mostly be review. But, it is a three-day a week class which means for the first time in college I have a Friday class! :(

J40 - Pre-professional Workshop: LOVE IT! It's a once-a-weeker! It's only one credit and it's pass/fail. Plus, we only meet five times. The class revolves around preparing your resume to get internships and stuff so that's really awesome. We get lots of tips and tricks on how to make our resumes sound impressive and get some jobs!

H75 - US History to 1877: It's decent. I like history, generally. Especially this time period. We've already learned about the conquest and stuff. And I bet you didn't know that pretty much the whole reason the African Slave Trade was even brought to the US was because the explorers wanted sugar! They saw that the Muslims had it and they wanted it. And apparently it's super hard and super dangerous to cultivate so they made the slaves do it.

J59 - Intro to Visual Communications: LOVE IT! I was born to take this class. It's all about using Photoshop, InDesign, and Dreamweaver! Plus, we get to do quite a lot with photography! I love it! We get to learn all about design and stuff and that's just awesome!

M20 - College Algebra: It's alright. You know, it's as good as a math class can be. I took AP Calculus BC in high school, but didn't pass the exam so I decided to take College Algebra to get the math credit. So far we're still reviewing what functions are. It's all really basic stuff which is good because I can keep up really well, but it's a two hour class and when we're reviewing concepts I've been familiar with since eighth grade, it's kind of boring.

That's it. That's my fall semester. It shouldn't be too brutal. One thing's for sure, though. I don't think I'll be skating by without any finals this year!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.