Tuesday, August 14, 2007

More Questions

More and more questions keep pouring in from new students. Here's another batch of the best questions and my answers.

Question: If on the dorm/roommate sheet I filled out earlier this year, I checked the "loft my bed" box, do I have to send an email requesting that it be lofted?

Answer: Not at all. If it turns out that when you get to Drake and your bed isn't lofted. Let somebody know and someone will be by to loft it for you in a week or so.

Question: I ordered my laptop about a week or so ago and am supposed to get it sent to me on the 23rd of August.  While I just live in Nebraska, getting that to me won't be all that easy since my family doesn't really want to make the trip for the second time in two days. If I were to have the laptop sent to my dorm at Drake, how would that work? Would I have to be present to sign off for it? Will the mailroom even be open by then? Basically I just want advice on how I should go about making sure my laptop gets to me before the first day of school.

Answer: I would ship it to Drake. Drake will recieve it and you will get a little yellow slip of paper in your mailbox, letting you know that you have a package. The front desk person will then get your package and you will have to sign for it then.

Question: Are the Carpenter Dorms part of the new renovation to the freshmen dorms?

Answer: I'm sorry to say they are not. There is some construction going on in Carpenter right now, but it's mostly carpeting and paiting and general reparis. The big rennovation will come next year. Don't worry, though... no, we might not have A/C, and maybe the rooms aren't going to be as nice as the rennovated ones, but you'll be impressed with your ability to adapt. It's still awesome. We just got a brand new 42'' tv for the lobby, plus we're getting brand new washers and dryers for the laundry room. They are coin and card operated so don't worry about running out of quarters. Plus, you get an e mail when your laundry is done. That's pretty cool.

Question: A quick question......I understand that there is not a closet door and I've heard that you can bring a pressure rod and a shower curtain but in some of the pictures it looks like there is a permanent track that the curtain moves in. What is the best thing to bring for a closet door at Carpenter. How long should the drape be?

Answer: There is a permanent track. The curtain that comes with the room sort of snaps into little things that slide. A lot of kids (like my roommate last year) just hung a flat sheet and that seemed to work fairly well. The dimensions of the closet (assuming they're all the same, of course) are 7'7'' by 3'9''. But the tension rod and shower curtain was also a popular choice.

Question: When do we find out our room assignment?

Answer: Although you know which building you're living in, the actual room assignment won't be given out until you check in on move-in day.

Hope this answers some of the burning questions!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.