Saturday, April 19, 2008

Duty Log 4/19: 11.5 Hours Remain

Tonight is my duty all-nighter. I have another one next weekend, but let's take it one day at a time. So far things are going well.

Thirty minutes and one round done! 11.5 hours and 3 rounds left. Yay!

The thing about these big party weekends is that the REALLY heavy drinkers start drinking early. And when I say early, I mean EARLY. I know a few residents who were passed out before noon. So they were sleeping it off and in the meantime the hall was peaceful and quiet.

They're starting to come to now, though and they're cleaning themselves up and getting ready for round two. But I've never had a problem with a super belligerent student. Not really. I've heard horror stories from other RAs, but no personal experiences.

Sitting in the lobby on duty isn't even THAT bad. It's probably because I live in the basement and can quickly get to my room if I need something else to do or read or watch or whatever. Plus, it's actually kind of nice to have a change of scenery. Not that I couldn't sit out here any day if I wanted to, but the fact that I have to helps keep me from just wandering back to my room. And I feel social since there are people around - even if those people are watching graphic Jet Li movies on the TV. *Shudder*

During Street Painting and Relay weekends, RAs have to do outside rounds. We walk around the building just to make sure nobody is causing trouble outside and, more importantly, sneaking a person or alcohol (or a person WITH alcohol) through the windows. It sounds crazy, but it happens - I promise. But I love that! It's nice to be able to leave the building for a few minutes and be on duty at the same time. Usually being on duty is like being chained to the building - you can't leave for 12 hours.

Sweet! This took me 15 minutes to write so that means I have 11.25 hours left! Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Thats all.

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.