Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Washington Comes to Denver: Part 3, old blog

For those who don't know, Drake students attending the DNC have their own blog here. For whatever reason, my blogs aren't really showing up so I thought i'd post them here instead. This one seems a little old and was admittedly written last week, but I thought it would be worth sharing:

I suffer from an extreme lack of political prowess. Politics and I aren’t exactly BFFs who like to have slumber parties and gossip about the latest congressional sex scandals and eat Ben and Jerry’s until we get stomachaches.

Politics and I are more like … well, something. You can insert your own flashy metaphor here. The point is, I don’t get politics. In all fairness, I suppose I haven’t tried all that hard to understand politics, either. I’m not sure who is to blame for that. If I’ve picked up anything from Washington, it’s how to pass the buck. Hmm… maybe I do get it after all.

Maybe the politically apathetic society is to blame with their “Political things are hard; let the rich guys with tons of money and no plan deal with it” mentality. That’s probably a good bet. And then, of course, you could track that back to politics itself.

Rich dudes with money.

I can see our Founders rolling over in their graves. Although, on the other side of the coin, they themselves represented the elite, so maybe we haven’t strayed too far. I like to think their intent, though, was to create a system where the average citizen could run for president, influence policy, and affect change.

Then again, the average citizen is way too smart to run for president. Let’s face it – it takes someone who’s fairly off his or her rocker to want that job.

But, as I said I don’t get politics – I don’t get the system, I don’t get the process, and I don’t get the appeal. I did decently in my political science class (which sucked), but there’s only so much you can learn out of a book that reads slower than a herd of turtles running uphill through chunky peanut butter. No, you really have to see it in action.

And that’s why I’m here, I suppose; to see it in action. So far I’m still pretty lost, not to mention intimidated by the other students who seem to be in the know and toss around big, hairy political words that probably make them sound more knowledgeable than they are. Not that I doubt their intellect, but impressive words sound far more, well, impressive.

So maybe I’ve arrived at a metaphor after all. Being here surrounded by politics, a subject I clearly know little about is like going to Spain knowing only a handful of Spanish phrases (including the ever-so-important “where’s the bathroom?” and “how much?”). It’s an overwhelming situation, and I’d better learn the language fast if I want to make the most of it.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.