Sunday, November 30, 2008

Fabric Softener

You'd think that as a third year college student, I'd know the general ins and outs of doing my own laundry. And I like to think I do. I don't separate my laundry simply because I can't afford to, but I know you're supposed to - and when the magical day comes when I have my own washer and dryer and can do as much laundry whenever I like, I'll be glad to separate my lights and my darks. For now, however, at $2.25 per load (plus some if the dryer doesn't do it's job properly which isn't an uncommon problem) I'll just throw it all on the pile.

On Saturday I left home to come back to school after Thanksgiving break and Mom did my laundry for me because she's nice like that. I took the stack of clean clothes off the counter and noticed two things: they smelled REALLY good and they were REALLY soft. I mean REALLY, REALLY soft. And two days later, I still can't stop smelling my laundry.

At first I just thought it was one of those things like sandwiches. I can make my own sandwiches, but they always taste better when Mom makes them. So I figured sandwiches, and now laundry, would just always be infinitely better at home no matter what I did.

But, alas, there IS something I can do. I asked Mom what her laundry secret is and she kind of just looked at me and it was in that moment I was reintroduced to dryer sheets. I used to use dryer sheets freshman year, but I ran out and just never bought new ones. I figured I didn't even really need them.

I was wrong. And I didn't even realize they acted as a fabric softener. I thought they just made your clothes lets staticy. Little did I know. All this time I've been missing out on true laundry bliss.

How does one little waxy sheet make all your clothes so soft? I'll never know the answer. I'll just be impressed.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.