Saturday, November 15, 2008

Obama's Speech

Ok, I know it's kind of a bit late, but I read and watched Obama's election night speech online recently and there are some quotes here that really jumped out at me. And I thought I'd write about them for kicks and giggles.

1. "To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn – I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too."

Reaction: Awwww. Like they'd have a choice, anyway. Republicans are threatening to move to Canada... but then they'd be closer to Sarah Palin. Seriously, though... I loved that he acknowledged the REST of the country, not just his supporters and those who voted for him. Elections are so polarizing and it was important to address the nation as a whole.

"...The true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope. "

Reaction: Awww. The "unyielding" was the best part. Sometime when I think of hope, I think it's the only thing you have left when all your options are exhausted and there's nothing left to do in any given situation. But he's referring it as a tool for progress. Clever.

"This is our moment. This is our time – to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth – that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can’t, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes We Can."

Reaction: Will the speech writer please stand up? I'm insanely impressed with this part. It's just incredible. And then you have that last part: "we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes We Can." He somehow turned a campaign slogan into national political sentiment. That's just staggering.

I'm not in love with Obama by any means. I still have serious reservations about him; but I can't deny he is an incredibly dynamic speaker and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the tiniest bit stirred by his speech.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.