Thursday, February 8, 2007

A busy, busy week

Hey!

This week has been so incredibly busy and I'm so glad that I finally have some down time. :) Let's recap, shall we?

Sunday, Feb 4th

APO Initiation was cool. Well, it was actually a little creepy. First, all of the pledges had to line up, alphabetically and close our eyes. Then, active members read parts of APO history. Get this, the very first APO initiation took place on December 16th, 1925 and my birthday is on December 16th. Weird. Anyway, after we learn about the history behind APO, we had to put our right hand on the shoulder of the person in front of us and we were led upstairs into this room that was completely dark. It felt like we were about to go on some sort of amusement park ride. We were placed in an arc, read to some more, and we were able to open our eyes. The officers were standing in front of the arc. They read to us some more about the different components of APO (leadership, service, fellowship, ect...) and lit a candle to represent each component. We were then initiated and had to say the "oath" for lack of better words. It was a little scary, but then we were allowed to turn around and meet our pledge sponsor (pledge mom or pledge dad) and mine is this girl named Brittney who I actually met at one of the informational meetings. She requested to be my pledge mom so it was really cool to have someone I already know as my mentor. She presented me with my pledge pin and then the lights came on and everything was much less scary. Brittney gave me a bag of M&M's and a little glass turtle for my initiation gift. The turtle is APO's mascot and comes with a little poem about friendship and it's really cute because I love turtles and I have a turtle at home and everything.

Later that day, I met back up with Brittney and her roommate, Donna (also in APO) so we could go to the APO Superbowl party together. We didn't really watch the game and we only stayed through halftime, but it was really cool to get to know the other members and get to know Brittney and Donna better. Everybody seems so nice and I'm so excited to be apart of it. Later, I'll be activated and I'll be able to wear my APO letters, so that’s going to be exciting.

Monday, Feb 5th

Mondays and Wednesdays are pretty rough because I have four classes on each day. It's good and it's bad because it means on Tuesdays and Thursdays I only have one class. AND I have no classes on Fridays, which means that my weekend officially begins at 2pm on Thursdays. That's not bad, eh? But, again... think about having four classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. Only two of the classes are back-to-back, so they're actually timed out well because I have one at 10, two back-to-back from 12:30-3:15, and then and night class at six.

Tuesday, Feb 6th

In English we had to workshop each other’s papers and that's usually something I really don't like doing. When it comes to my writing, I don't like people reading it, but it was really, really helpful and I'm actually starting to enjoy the process. On top of preparing my draft for class, I also had to start researching and writing an article I was writing for J54 about college suicides, post my group's hypothesis for our presentation for sociology, and go to Walgreens to get my pills refilled. It was pretty hectic for a day with only one class.

Wednesday, Feb 7th

I went to all four of my classes, plus I had to do a ton of research about college suicides, get interviews, and finish writing my article for J54. I also had to fix up and finish writing my essay for English, and write my commercial that I have due next week in my broadcasting class.

Thursday, Feb 8th.

All of my big assignments for this week have been turned in, but later I have my individual interview to become an RA. I'm nervous because this is supposed to be much more formal than the group interviews. I think I'll do well. Some of the other RAs have offered me some pointers and I'm really grateful. It's supposed to be pretty long. Each interview is scheduled for half an hour. I'm the first to be interviewed, so that's a little nerve-racking, but I asked for that slot. At least I'll get it done and not have to worry about it for the next couple of weeks. It'll be a while before I found out whether I'll be an RA or an alternate, but I'll know in time to make rooming arrangements for next year.

Plans for the weekend

I'm supposed to be taking women's tennis pictures for the Times Delphic on Friday and I'm also going snow tubing. On Saturday, I'm hoping to go help Habitat for Humanity, and on Sunday I'm going to Mars Cafe with my RA and my floor and I have my first APO pledge meeting :) Should be fun!!!!!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.