Friday, February 16, 2007

So, you like politics?

... then come to Drake. So, you don't like politics? Then come to Drake.

I wasn't very politically inclined in high school. I took AP Government and just couldn't get into it at all... well, except for the days we watched West Wing. That was cool. But, for the most part I was really not interested. I wasn't of age to vote, and it all seemed so disconnected with my life that it was really hard to understand.

Don't get me wrong. I still don't understand a lot of it, but as I'm sure you're aware, Iowa is a political hot spot. With a presidential election in the not-so-distant future, everybody from Barack Obama to Hilary Clinton has been and will be in town. Although I can't claim to have full and complete knowledge of government or politics, I can say that I feel a responsibility as a legal citizen to start becoming politically active so I can, when it comes time to vote, select the presidential candidate that I feel is strong enough to take on the responsibility that comes with the title "Commander in Chief."

It's cool because hardcore PolySci majors are having a field day and even kids like me who never took too much of an interest before are getting excited about campaigns. Being at Drake is such a great opportunity to be able to see all of these people and learn about them.

Drake played host to the CSPAN 2008 campaign bus. Hilary Clinton visited the Drake Dinner not too long ago. Last weekend Barack Obama was in Ames (45 minutes away). Governor Chet Culver spoke in Olmstead with MICHAEL J. FOX during his campaign to become governor and brought his buddy Congressman Leonard Boswell with him.

Not only is being here a great opportunity personally as someone who has never been active in the political realm before, but it’s a great opportunity to observe the media in action. As a journalism major, I love seeing the photographers and the camera men and the reporters on their laptops. They are such a crucial part of each campaign and it’s so cool to see.

But, you’re probably more interested in seeing the headliners, not the behind-the-scenes dudes. Have some pics:



Culver and a very "foxy" Michael J.

Boswell

Another pic of MJF... just because I love him

For what it's worth... a horrible picture of Barack Obama (appologies)

The CSPAN bus!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.