Friday, February 9, 2007

Snow Tubing

I'm not much of a skier and that's some sort of sin for people who live in Colorado. I tried it once but it was easily one of the most horrid, most humiliating experiences of my life. Granted, that was in 1999. So, maybe in the past seven years, I've come a long way with my skiing abilities, but I seriously doubt it.

Snowboarding never really appealed to be, either. I can't make it down the mountain with my feet separate, much less stuck together. But, what always looked like fun was inner tubing down the slopes. Basically, you use those same inner tubes that you would use in a water park, but you go sledding with them. I never got a chance to try it out in Colorado, but I was absolutely delighted when I found out that Drake was putting on a snow-tubing trip.

A little while ago I got back from my first snow tubing experience. I convinced my friend Erin to come with and we ran into our friend Kyle who helped plan the trip. Only about 14 people went, but it was fun anyway. We took a bus to Sleepy Hollow winter park and we spent a good hour and a half freezing our butts off and having a heck of a lot of fun.

The best part about it was that, unlike sledding, you don't have to walk back up the hill. There's a little "lift," which basically entails one of the workers there hooking your tube to a cable that dragged you up the slope. It was pretty sweet. But, nothing compared to the ride down. The slopes are 1,000 feet and are so cool. There are four "lanes" and some are faster than others which is good for the little kids who are kind of scared.

Not only could you go tubing individually, but you could connect your tube with your friends' tubes and you could go down together. Kyle, Erin and I had a lot of fun doing that. It was a little scary, but so fun.

So, check out some of my pics... sorry, I didn't get to take too many because it got really dark really fast. :)



Me and my tube



Erin and her tube



Kyle waiting for the lift

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.