Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Habitat for Humanity

You'll probably hear this a lot, but I love being a part of APO. It's such a fun thing to be involved with. Last Saturday I participated in my first service project: Habitat for Humanity.

I've always wanted to be involved with Habitat and go to build sites and everything. Drake has a Habitat for Humanity chapter, but more often than not meeting times coincided with night classes and all of the spots to help out filled up pretty quickly. But, I finally got my chance with APO.

There were only three of us from Drake who went, but about six other kids showed up from Iowa State. The house we were working on wasn't too far away and was mostly built on the outside. That was so nice because that meant that we could work inside, instead of being stuck outside in the cold.

I ended up doing a lot of painting and touching up around the house. I puttied up some holes and got to use the nail gun once. It was pretty sweet.

Plus, we got to meet one of the partner families that is working with Habitat. Partner families are families who are waiting for their own house to be built, so they help build other houses to accumulate working hours and each family needs to complete a certain amount of hours as a part of their contract with Habitat.

I loved working on the house and it was awesome getting to meet some of the Iowa State kids. By the end of the day, I was covered in dust and paint and plaster and God knows what else, but I kind of liked it.

I'm excited to go again, but maybe next time I'll put my hair up... there's still paint in there.

Here are some pics!!


Natalie doing some painting

Naomi and her powertools!

Being silly

Drake and Iowa State Kids

Me hard at work painting

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.