Sunday, February 24, 2008

APO Sectionals

This past weekend Drake hosted the APO Section 21 Conference and it was amazing. A lot of chapters from the rest of the state were invited down to Drake to participate in worshops and lectures and all sorts of things like that. I haven't been in the chapter very long at all so this was my first large APO gathering with other chapters, and I'm tellin' you I'd do it again in a heartbeat

On Friday night, we hosted a fellowship event in one of the academic buildings. We watched a movie on the projector and played charades. In case you're curious, my team won. Go, red team!! We had some pretty interesting drawings and some even more impressive guesses. My RA recently joined APO at Iowa State (she's a grad student there) and she was an amazing guesser... I mean, she guessed "fern." Fern, I tell you. I guess you had to be there.

All day Saturday we had workshops and things we could do with our brothers from other chapters. I spent the entire day at the roundtable discussions because they were REALLY interesting. A bunch of people from a bunch of chapters sat around and talked about how they run their chapter. We talked about everything from the recruiting process to what we do for service events. It's really amazing to see how different each chapter is despite being apart of the same organization. It was also really fun because we were able to bounce ideas off one another and talk about what worked for each of us and what didn't. I thought it was really beneficial - even if all the topics that we discussed didn't apply to me or my position on the Executive Committee.

The day ended with our formal banquet/dance which was great fun and kinda bittersweet ("kinda" is actually a gross understatement). I think it went really well and was a great end to sectionals. Everybody really seemed to enjoy theirselves. Personally, I'm not much of a dancer. I'll do "Shout," "YMCA," "The Electric Slide," "The Macarena," "The Chicken Dance," and things like that, but generally speaking I feel uncomfortably self-concious (isn't that redundant?) and awkward when dancing. Me running around my room in my sweatpants, singing karaoke into my hairbrush when nobody is looking is a different story.... correction... when I THINK nobody is looking.

I took some pictures so check them out. I might be adding more when I steal some from facebook :)



That's my RA. She can bust a move. There's a YouTube video to prove it.



Speaking of busting a move, Ms. Julie was gettin' friendly with Ben, the president of the Iowa State chapter.



Ryan graciously moved the glass away from his face to let me take his picture. He, erm... "hurt his ankle" or something. I'm kidding, he really did hurt his ankle.



Mr. Mike... I suppose you could call him my other half. He is the other Service Vice President.



Julie and Ryan finger dancing. Finger dancing is where it's at, yo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.