Saturday, March 10, 2007

Oh! Is that what empowerment looks like!?


On Tuesday night a new reality show debuted: The Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for a New Doll. First of all, I think it's a pointless show because why on earth do they need yet another Pussycat Doll? Honestly, how many of them are there? I think there are six of them. SIX!? Most groups these days cut it off at about five... and the Pussycat Dolls are going for a SEVENTH!? Second of all, I don't even know any of their names. I know there's a darker-haired girl who is usually in the foreground of all the pictures, so she must be the "leader," but seriously... can anybody name them?

But, here's my biggest beef with the Dolls. The creator of the show is all on about how the Pussycat Dolls stand for "female empowerment." Female empowerment. That's interesting because the words "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me," don't really align with the traditional feminism ideals I've been exposed to.

And what about "I'm tellin' you to loosen up my buttons, baby"? They can pretend all they want but a woman complaining about how she just wants to get into bed already because her man's not making his move fast enough doesn't really send their message of empowerment

I should give them a touch of credit, though. They do have one song, "I Don't Need a Man," which promotes the independent role of women, but other than that, the feminist message is lost on me due to the overpowering sexual innuendo.

And what about the way they dress? I feel that objectifies women rather than empowers them. It seems to me like they are using their bodies to get what they want. What kind of message is that to send? Wasn't there and isn't there still this huge group of concerned parents and other adults who felt and feel like Brittney Spears was and is a little risqué for young girls? I would assume the same group has the same objection to the Pussycat Dolls.

I'm not an idiot. I know sex sells. Please, I'm eighteen years old and I schedule my classes around the McSexiest show on television. I've got no problem with their sex-laden songs or their skanky image, but when they start to justify themselves by saying they empower women, that's when I have to draw the line. They're doing nothing of the sort... unless by "empower" they mean using sex appeal to get whatever they want.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.