Saturday, March 24, 2007

Turtles kick frogs' butts!!! At least, in my opinion

Don't get my wrong. Frogs are perfectly adorable. I mean, those big ol' eyes and that sticky tongue are cool, I'll admit it.

But, seriously! Frogs dominate when it comes to commercial goods.

I'm working on the APO pledge scrapbook and our "mascot" is a turtle. So, I was hoping to find some turtle stickers or something. After searching high and low and in between for turtles at two different Hobby Lobbys, Joann Fabrics and a Michael's, my mom and I finally found something.

I don't understand this at all. What is so uncommon about turtles? Actually, I think it's more uncommon to find frogs around than turtles. Well, at least it's more uncommon to find people who have frogs than it is to find people who have a turtle. I can't say that that opinion is completely unbiased since I am one of the proud turtle owners.

But, I can still complain about how frustrating it was to find SOMETHING... ANYTHING that had turtles on it. We looked for fabric, foam cut outs, die cuts, stamps, stickers, punches, paper... and I promise you that all of those things had some version of frogs, but only ONE type of stickers had the turtles.

It was a little entertaining though because my mom and I spent so much time looking for the frickin' turtles, we forgot what we were looking for and kept getting excited when we saw frogs. Admittedly, the mistake is easy to make since both are green with big, cartoonish eyes and stuff. But, we kept getting mixed up and kept calling the turtles frogs and frogs turtles and I think I mistook a rabbit for a giraffe at one point.

It reminded me of the time I actually got my pet turtle. I got him from a friend who didn't want him any more and as the turtle was sitting on her counter, my friend's dad comes over (I bring this up all the time) and he looks into the cage and says "Hello, frog!" My friend looked at her dad, raised her eyebrow and said "Uh, Dad... that's a turtle." I'll probably never forget that. It's one of my favorite stories to tell.

Anyway, back to the story.

My mom and I were wandering around Hobby Lobby and I was feeling particularly defeated. We ended up in a garden section with a whole bunch of statues and figurines for people's lawns and there were shelves upon shelves of frogs. There were frogs wearing overalls, frogs playing the banjo, frogs just sitting on lillypads. There were frogs that were fishing, and frogs that were dancing and the WORST PART OF IT ALL... was that they all looked so freakin' jolly. Every single one of them was smiling at me like they were enjoying my torment. They were mocking me and I wanted to smash all of their silly, froggy faces!

Luckily enough for them and for my credit card bill, I was able to restrain myself. In the meantime, I think I will open a business that specializes in only turtle goods. That'll show 'em.

here's a picture of my frog... er, my turtle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah I am in "love" with turtles and cannot find anything, well untill I was in Khols one day and ran across the BEST bathroom decor ever. Yup, TURTLES!!! Now I am looking for turtle decals or stencils to paint on my bathroom walls, err... its so frusterating!

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.