Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring has sprung!

Well, it's Spring Break and I don't think it could have come at a better time. This semester was going well until the last four days before break. That's when everything decided to happen at once. I had to put together an advertising campaign for Reese's Puffs and give a presentation about it (I'm a terrible public speaker, so I don't know how I did. I liked my idea, though), I had to write a paper about how I read. Think about that for a second. WRITING about READING. I have never had to write an essay like that before and I'm praying I wrote something that fulfilled the requirements. I wrote a reading personal narrative that had a lot of my personal voice in it, but that might not be at all what the professor was looking for. I don't really know; it was a very open paper and that really scared me. Plus, the professor reminds me so much of my AP Lit professor from high school (who I adored) and I think I care more about his opinion of me and my writing because of that. What else did I have to do? Oh! I had to write an article about professors moving into the dorms (not at Drake, keep your pants on). It was a busy week. On top of which, tensions with the roommate and the neighbors were running high. We all get along for the most part, but I think everybody was ready for a little space.

So far Spring Break has been amazing. I love Colorado this time of year (and every other time of year). Last weekend the weather was so beautiful that my family went up to see Red Rocks Amphitheater (a must-see attraction if you're ever in the state). We had never been before and we decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather. I took a billion pictures. It's an incredible place. I think I got a little sick from the altitude, though. Red Rocks is only 1,000 feet higher than where I live, but since I had just gotten back into town I think I was feeling it -- how sad. Check out my pictures below... use your imagination to rotate the ones that are sideways. I was having problems rotating them for whatever reason. I'll try again tomorrow.







My mom and I have also been working on making an APO shirt for me. I'm not allowed to wear my Alpha Phi Omega letters until after activation (April 22nd), but I decided that since we had the time and I had a way of getting to a store to get some fabric that we could work on it. There are places that will make letters for you, but we wanted to see how it would turn out if we did it ourselves. We had to figure out how to do it and print off the letters and everything. It's not quite done, but we're in the homestretch and it looks great. Pictures are comin'

Another thing I should be working on over Spring Break is my sociology project -- actually that's what I'm putting off at this precise moment. Basically for my sociology class we have this huge group project assigned where we need to put together a 45-minute presentation and a 40-50-page paper about an assigned topic. In our case we were assigned the topic of race, which we narrowed down to racial identity. My group goes first for our presentations -- which means we go on April 2nd, the second Monday after we get back from break. Everybody is kind of panicked because we had no idea our paper was supposed to be that extensive. We only found out a couple of days before break, which kind of put a damper on things. I don't have pictures of that... and if I did, they would be of me crying and lighting my sociology book on fire. The class isn't bad, I just haven't done a huge research project like this, and it doesn't seem like any of the other members of my group have, either... I'll have to keep you posted on how the presentation goes

I guess I should really start researching stuff, huh? Then maybe I can enjoy the rest of my break!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.