Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pink Eye is the new Leprosy

This week I was pretty sick and it was no secret from anyone. I was coughing and sneezing and leaving a trail of tissues behind everywhere I went. But everyone was fine around me. They came over, they sat and chatted with me, we went out to dinner together and we did all sorts of things.

But Thursday brought on a nasty case of pink eye and never in your life did you see someone avoided like I was.

At first, my girls didn't really notice. They would be walking with me and suddenly they would stop and say something like "Your eye is really red. Do you have allergies?" and I'd say "Nope, it's pink eye." They'd stop dead in their tracks and with a horrified look on their face say to me "Meagan! That's really contagious!!!!"

First of all... DUH! Of course it is! I'm not stupid. I think anyone who's made it through kindergarten without understanding that pink eye is contagious was probably home-schooled.

Second of all... is there really the need to step back from me with so much disgust on your face? I mean, really. My pink eye is not going to jump from me to you when we make eye contact, calm down!

I was very careful about my pink eye. I've been using hand sanitizer and washing my hands constantly and I throw away all my tissues.

It's starting to clear up a bit today which is good because I was about to move away and live in a colony with all the other pink eye sufferers.

And just for future reference... leprosy is far less contagious than pink eye, but the scare it generates is pretty similar.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.