Friday, September 21, 2007

Renovations... big deal!

So you, incoming freshman class of 2008, are the lucky ones. Why is that, you ask? Well, it's because your class will be the first to enjoy the completely renovated quad residence halls.

Last year all the freshmen were living in older buildings. They weren't complete crap they were just a little old. And maybe a little outdated. Then, renovation began with Crawford and Stalnaker which caused major upset for the residents. They had construction noise constantly and there were workers in and out of the buildings and the basement kids almost needed to be relocated.

Now half of the freshmen are living in renovated halls. Crawford and Stalnaker are complete so all of those residents get to enjoy brand-new dorms.

But you guys... you will ALL be living in the "lap of luxury" as the newspaper would say. Everybody will have carpeting and air conditioning. Everybody will get to enjoy the brand new furniture in the room and in the lobby. Everybody will have their own little mailbox and key so they can access their mail whenever you like. Everybody living in Crawford and Carpenter will be able to zip across their bridges and everything.

BUT!

Call me crazy, but I don't WANT Carpenter (or Herriot, but mostly Carpenter) to be renovated. Sure the other halls are nice, but I didn't even recognize them. I felt like I was in a hotel. I don't want to live in a hotel. I want to live in Carpenter Hall.

I think part of the problem is that I became really attached to Carpenter my freshman year. I went through such a huge transition and that's where it happened. And I think that's where my attachment stems from.

And they're going to make Carpenter look just like Stalnaker and Crawford which is nice, but it's going to be completely unrecognizable. It's not going to look like home anymore.

I like it the way it is. Air conditioning will be great and changing the bathrooms is going to be AMAZING, but I really don't want to be walking into Carpenter and not even know it!

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.