Saturday, September 22, 2007

Quotes to write by

After last week's mini-major-meltdown, I decided to decorate my wall with some inspirational quotes to write by. It sounds a little cheesy but most of them are coming from an amazing book I'm reading for one of my classes. It's called "On Writing Well" and everyone should read it.

Here are some of the quotes going on my wall:

"The secret of good writing is to strip every sentence to its cleanest components."

"Good writing doesn't come naturally, though most people seem to think it does."

"A clear sentence is no accident."

"If you find that writing is hard, it's because it IS hard."

"Writing is learned by imitation."

"Remember that words are the only tools you have."

"Once you have your unities decided, there's no material you can't work into your frame."

"Good writing is good writing, whatever form it takes and whatever we call it."

I like these quotes. I think they're both realistic and inspirational which is a really good combination.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.