Thursday, February 25, 2010

80 days and counting

I have this boss at one of my internships, his name is Brian, and I realized today that one of my favorite things to do is simply to follow that guy around.

Ok, it's not as creepy as it sounds. It's not like I'm right behind him when he goes to the office supply storage room or down the hall to fill his water bottle. But I follow him to all sorts of places.

Over the summer, I told him I had never been inside the Capitol building so we literally got up and went to see it. It's across the street, so it's not like we did a huge field trip or anything. Apparently you can just walk in and meander around.

Guess what?

IT'S AWESOME! Easily the coolest Capitol building I've ever seen. I think I'll take my parents there next time they come. It's just really cool. And Brian knows a lot of interesting historical facts, which might sound boring, but they can be weird and obscure and I like that.

Today at work my other boss, Al, left for his lunchtime walk, but he wasn't bundled up to go outside. So I asked Brian where he goes and he told me he walks the tunnel system.

The what now?

I didn't believe him at all. That sounds just like something stupid they tell gullible people. So I was pretty skeptical... until he TOOK ME THERE.

We went down all these staircases I never knew existed and then we were IN the tunnel system. Apparently all the buildings in the Capitol complex are connected by these underground tunnels. I felt like I was in the flippin' Chamber of Secrets or something. It was awesome. And a bit shady. But mostly awesome.

So we walked and walked and got a little turned around a couple of times and ended up at the Capitol and decided to just "pop in" to see what the legislature was "up to." Haha. So we went to watch government in action.

Unfortunately, government was at lunch just then. But the field trip was awesome and it beat staring at a computer screen for an hour.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.