Wednesday, February 10, 2010

95 days and counting

Mood: content

I've been hearing the phrase "no promises" lately all over the place. Not just to me, either. I've just been hearing it around.

Can we hang out this weekend? No promises.
Do you think there will be any openings? No promises.
Are you coming to see me? No promises.

To be honest, I'm glad people aren't making me promises. Promises suck. Because then I'll get all excited and be like "Oh, well, they promised." And then, inevitably, nothing comes to be from those promises and I'm left feeling burned and angry.

So, actually, I'm not looking for promises. I'm not that stupid. In a perfect world we could actually commit to each other and have giving someone our word be some sort of sacred bond that is in some way significant to both parties... but it's not like that at all. We live in a world that's much too busy and much too tired for that.

Instead, we deal in "maybe"s and hope that that'll be good enough for someone. But sometimes that's just as frustrating.

Hm.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.