Sunday, February 7, 2010

99 days and counting

I spend most of my weekends volunteering all over the city. It's fun because I meet a lot of new people and I get to see more of Des Moines... and I get to go to really cool events for free and can usually spend a little extra time after my volunteer shift hanging out and milling around the place.

Today was skywalk golf, a fundraiser for Des Moines to help have more free events in the city. I'm a big fan of free events. Probably because I'm poor.

Anyway, all these sponsors come they each get one hole to decorate mini-golf style, effectively covering all 3+ miles of the Des Moines skywalk system. It's pretty awesome, actually.

I volunteered at the ARL hole, which was an intricate design made of dog biscuits. All the golfers liked to saunter up to the hole and make all the same jokes that the last golfers made. "Heh, heh. Looks like someone's hungry. They took a bite out of that one." And "too bad I didn't bring my dog. He'd clear out all these bones and give me a straight shot." And "If I get a hole in one, do I get a free puppy?"

I laughed on the outside and rolled my eyes on the inside. Most of the golfers were older gentleman who had already enjoyed an adult beverage or two or three by the time they got to our hole. And my shift ended at noon, so they started a little early.

My favorite, though, was a man dressed as Elvis who was walking around with a posse of pink ladies. The took requests, apparently, and performed "Hound Dog" for us (while swing dancing with another volunteer.)

He then proceeded to hand me a couple of dollars for a donation for the ARL and slap my butt as he walked away.

No comments:

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.