Wednesday, April 21, 2010

25 days and counting

Mood: Shock
Happy thought: gainful employment

Today I pulled in to my apartment's parking lot and noticed that my roommate wasn't home. I thought that was weird, because she's ALWAYS home when I get home on Tuesdays.

I thought maybe she might have sent me a text message and I just didn't hear my phone go off since it was on silent from being in class. So I lazily pulled my phone out of my pocket to see that I was getting a call RIGHT THEN from Alpha Phi Omega, the group with whom I interviewed for a job just last Friday.

I wasn't as excited as I was confused. They told me they weren't expecting to make a decision for another couple of weeks yet because they had two others to interview.

The gal on the other end simply asked if I had any medical conditions that would prevent me from doing the job, to which I replied no I don't... and then out of nowhere she says "Oh, well then we'd like to offer you the position."

My brain stopped. Or maybe my heart. Or maybe both. I don't know. I don't even think I responded right away. I was still processing what was happening. After my brain rebooted, I was able to accept the position.

Right then, my roommate pulled in next to me and just looked at me and knew. We silently freaked out and jumped up and down, right there in our parking lot.

So, here's the skinny on the job. It's with Alpha Phi Omega, a national service fraternity that I've been heavily involved with at Drake. The national office needed a field representative (that's me) to go around the country, visit chapters, and help them with leadership development, recruitment, starting new chapters... that sort of thing.

It's a salaried position with benefits, which is music to my ears.

I'm incredibly excited to get started. APO is something I've dedicated a lot of time to as an undergrad, and I'm thrilled at the opportunity to travel around sharing my enthusiasm and strengthening other chapters to make the APO experience better for all brothers involved.

I'm walking on air right now... it's a huge burden that's been lifted.

1 comment:

HarriMac said...

CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER!!

All bloggers are compensated for their time. All blogs are uncensored and the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.